Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Are You Having Trouble Getting Disability

When I first thought about getting disability, after my first knee surgery left me unable to work, I actually thought I could do it myself. Wrong.

I called the Social Security Office in my area to find out what exactly I needed to file. They sent me all the paper work I needed along with the instructions on how to fill it out. I filled out all their paper work and sent back in and waited for them to make their decision. They denied me.

My next step was to get a lawyer that is employed by Social Security. I didn't know that I didn't have to pay the lawyer or I would have started out with one. You see you don't pay for the lawyer, they are paid by SSA and if you get back pay they get a portion of it. There was only two lawyers that the Social Security Administration referred to me. I choose the women thinking that she might be more sympathetic to my plight. Oh My Word, she was a quack. I did all the leg work and research while she sat at her office. When it came time for the hearing I found out that her husband was one of the judges. She did absolutely nothing in the hearing. She didn't defend me at all. At the end of the hearing the judge said my husband and I were not telling the truth but that he would give me the disability for two years after which it would be reviewed. That was 11 years ago and I am still on disability.

There is one thing I didn't tell you and that was at the end of the hearing my lawyer came out to our car and told my husband and I that I might want to think about having my leg cut off because it would be easier to get the disability that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment