Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Third Party Control of My Health Care

Hey everyone,

The last article I posted talks about the Government monitoring your medications. Well, my medications, when I go to the doctor and a variety of other things, is controlled by what is called "The Board of Regents for the Georgia University System," because my husband works for a company that is considered a part of the University System, and there is no one controlling them. They are an entity all by themselves and no government agency that dictates what they can do. They have been this way forever when some big wig decided to form this board. They dictate what medications we can take by not paying for them, they also tell us what test we really need. I know, it stinks doesn't it?

Let me give you an example: I was taking a medication for Cholesterol, I can't remember the name now, but anyway, they decided that I shouldn't be taking it because it was costing them to much money so they suggested that I have my doctor change the medication to a generic. They even gave me a list of four different generic medications to use, and said that they would not pay for the one I was on. See, that's what I mean by controlling what medications we can take. Of course, they make it sound like they are trying to help you save money, but no matter how you look at it, they are still controlling what medications you take.

Also, every time I have to have a procedure done, they send me a form to fill out asking me if the problem I have is from an accident. While I guess this doesn't sound all that bad to most, but for me, I am usually in a great deal of pain and really can't and don't want to have to fill out or even read a piece of paper that makes me feel like I'm trying to dupe them into paying for something I know they shouldn't have to pay for.

That's not me. I trust my doctors to give me the medications I need and only what I need, and I also trust them to give me the information I need to make the best decision on any procedure they feel I may need to make my quality of life better. The Board of Regents make those decisions for us without the doctors even seeing us. Their doctors have no background information about what conditions we have, why we are taking those medications or why we may need a procedure done.

Do you have anything like this going on with you? Reply to this post and let me know so at least I won't feel all alone.

Thank you for any response you wish to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment