Search This Blog

Thursday, August 5, 2010

5 Ways To Regain Intamacy When You Have Arthritis

My husband and I had only been married for two years before I had knee surgery that set off a barrage of problems for me. During the surgery they found arthritis under the knee cap but decided not to remove it because they felt it would interfere with my recovery from the knee surgery. After the surgery I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain, Chronic Fatigue, and a few other problems that come up when you have these conditions.

My husband had also had back surgery and was in pain on most days. Our sex life before my knee surgery and after my husbands surgery was great. After my knee surgery, not so. It was difficult at best to get any pleasure out of any intimacy when my pain levels overshadowed the pleasure. Unfortunately, it hasn't improved in the 14 years since my surgery.

The effects of arthritis, the pain, stiffness, fatigue, lack of mobility, and the twisted, enlarged joints, can make sex difficult and at best down right unappealing. When arthritis affects your back, knees,hips, hands, wrist, feet or ankles it can be especially difficult. Not to mention the medications the doctor's prescribe that can diminish any sexual desire. They can have side effects, including vaginal dryness, and fatigue that can lessen your interest in sex. You may even perceive yourself as not very sexually attractive and this doesn't help you to relax and enjoy the experience of sex, it also brings anxiety into the bedroom adding to the issues above.

Continue reading

No comments:

Post a Comment